Megaliths in Western Europe:
What happened to menhirs
**** During millenia which followed their construction, megalithic constructions were re-used by the successive types of civilization.
Cannelled stele of the IronAge
recut in a menhir.
Penhors - Brittany
Gallo-Roman stele of Kernuz
on the left, the menhir of
on the right, the " Men-Braz "
in Brignogan , both in
A significant quantity of megalithic monuments were destroyed, used as macadamization or building materials or were often degraded by agricultural use.
" The Insane Stone"
this sepulchral room
was used as hen house
- Pierre-Roland Giot: " Brittany of the Megaliths " Ed.Ouest-France 1997
- Pierre-Roland Giot: " Cairn de Barnenez " Ed.Ouest-France 1991
- Robert Wernick: " Men of the megaliths " Ed.Time-life 1977
- S.E.Iakovidis: " Tiryns " Ed.Ekdotike Athenon SA 1985
- Nicolas Papahatzis: " Tirynthe " Ed.Clio 1986
Back to summary © Odile Prigent - Paleologos 1997-2004